is a queer, bigender immigrant from Eastern Europe and Israel. Their work has appeared in Lightspeed, Strange Horizons, Beneath Ceaseless Skies, Unlikely Story, Uncanny, and other venues, and has been a finalist for the Nebula, Ignyte, Locus, Crawford, and other awards.
Their pronouns are they/them/theirs.
R.B. was born in Ukraine, and lived in subarctic Russia and Israel before coming to the US for graduate school at UC Berkeley. They are a sociolinguist, and they work as an associate professor at a Midwestern university. Their spouse is Bogi Takács, a fellow queer, trans, and Eastern European Jewish person.
The Four Profound Weaves
2021 Nebula Award Finalist
2021 Ignyte Award Finalist
2021 Locus Award Finalist
The Surun’ do not speak of the master weaver, Benesret, who creates the cloth of bone for assassins in the Great Burri Desert. But Uiziya now seeks her aunt Benesret in order to learn the final weave, although the price for knowledge may be far too dear to pay.
Among the Khana, women travel in caravans to trade, while men remain in the inner quarter as scholars. A nameless man struggles to embody Khana masculinity, after many years of performing the life of a woman, trader, wife, and grandmother.
As the past catches up to the nameless man, he must choose between the life he dreamed of and Uiziya, and Uiziya must discover how to challenge a tyrant, and weave from deaths that matter.
“The Four Profound Weaves is the anti-authoritarian, queer-mystical fairy tale we need right now.” ―Annalee Newitz, author of The Future of Another Timeline
“A beautiful, heartfelt story of change, family, identity, and courage.” ―Library Journal, starred review
Patreon is where I share things I would not share anywhere else: snippets, poems, progress reports, thoughts on writing, all kinds of thoughts, drawings, paintings, doodles, letters characters write to each other, goats (goats are also awesome), essays, and more. Join me and become a patron!
Birdverse Patreon is a happy place! Stretch goals help us unlock additional rewards and make them available to more people. Awesome things that Patrons unlocked so far:
- Many original poems and poem-outlines, as well as reprints (for $2+ Patrons)
- Marvushi’s “Splendid Goat Adventure” – a lighthearted epistolary short story available as an ebook for all patrons.
- Q&A podcast The Birdcast, free for everyone
- multiple Writing While Autistic essays available free for everyone
- many publicly posted Critterfest doodles
- Don’t Self-Reject! the essay, publicly available
- Where to start with Birdverse: an Infographic 🙂 publicly available
- Kind stories recommendation post
- “The Book of Seed and the Abyss” – a Birdverse Kabbalah story, original and exclusive for all Patrons
- Plonkongak!, the incredible adventures of firebird and fish, for all patrons
- Bookselling cats – whimsical poem and doodle including eleven cats, two kittens, a butterfly, three human beings, and a bookwagon – all publicly available
- Letterpress adventures wth pieces of original artwork mailed to higher-tier Patrons – all patrons saw the letterpress updates in 2018 🙂
- With your help — more to come!